A Practical Guide to Lawful Fundraising and Data Usage for Arts and Cultural Organisations
This Practical Guide to Lawful Fundraising provides arts and cultural organisations with an understanding of the practical steps that must be taken to fundraise in a legally compliant manner and in accordance with best practice. This information is accurate at the time of writing, however, data protection law is constantly developing and the regulatory landscape is changing all the time. Please check the Information Commissioner’s website for updates to data protection law and regulatory guidance.
The audiencedatasharing.org website also provides guidance on data protection and will shortly include updates with reference to new legislation under General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) which comes into effect from May 2018.
Sample Data Management Policy Structure
The Audience Agency have put together a sample Data Management Policy Structure worksheet as a suggested approach to addressing personal data management provide a framework for working towards and maintaining compliance with data protection regulations. You can download the document here
Ethical Fundraising Policy Template
We have drafted a best practice Ethical-Fundraising-Policy-Template.pdf which is available to download. Please email Michelle Wright via this link if you are a Trustee or CEO interested in exploring further how to implement such a policy.
Twine: The Truth About Arts Fundraising
Arts Professional is working in partnership with Twine, a consortium led by The Empty Space, to present a series of articles sharing learning from its exploration of the fundraising challenges faced by small touring theatre companies. Useful articles include:
- A sound investment (March 2016): A case study by a small theatre company in individual giving
- Life after regular funding (February 2016): a rural theatre company shares its experience of fundraising through tough times
- One coin, two sides (February 2016): two companies share their experiences of applying for grants from Trusts & Foundations
- Getting more from Trusts and Foundations (January 2016): how can small arts organisations fundraise more efficiently?
- Managing the money (December 2015): do you regularly find your head pickled by the financial rules and regulations pertaining to fundraising?
- Friends on tour (October 2015): can a small touring company benefit from running a Friends scheme?
- Whose data is it anyway? (October 2015): in an era of data sharing, who does audience data belong to: touring companies or venues?
- Building a stronger case for support (September 2015): do potential donors really understand the value of small-scale touring theatre?