The Touring Theatre Network exists to enable its members to improve skills, share learning and increase fundraising capacity amongst peers producing touring theatre. Network members face increasing pressure from Arts Council England, and from a tough funding climate, to diversify income streams and increase fundraised income. The network believes that fundraising will be crucial to the future resilience and financial stability of the touring sector. As a network, we will collaborate, innovate and raise awareness of the case for support for touring theatre.
The network will host a one-day training event for the senior management of the network organisations to improve skills relating to fundraising for touring theatre, led by an experienced fundraising consultant / workshop leader.
Aims of the activity:
- To create space and time for the senior management of touring theatre companies, for whom fundraising is one of many responsibilities, to focus on fundraising objectives, activities and possibilities
- To provide free training (and travel expenses) to network members
- To address the sector-specific challenges of fundraising for touring theatre, including but not limited to, individual giving
- To engage a fundraising consultant with knowledge of theatre and touring to deliver a training event with structured discussions, workshops, training materials and tasks
- To facilitate peer-to-peer conversation, enabling arts leaders to share experiences, practical advice and best practice
- To test the aims and objectives of the network
Desired outcomes of the activity:
- Ideas for consortium funding applications and network-wide sponsorship
- A clear understanding of the value of a more formal network of fundraisers for touring theatre companies – specifically of a joint application to Arts Council England’s next Catalyst funding round
- Improved confidence and skills for individual arts leaders
- An enterprising approach to fundraising at the heart of touring theatre companies