Chetham's Library was founded in 1653 and is the oldest surviving public library in the English speaking world. Chetham’s Library has been in continuous use as a public library for over 350 years. It is housed in a beautiful sandstone building dating from 1421 which was built to accommodate the priests of Manchester’s Collegiate Church. The entire collection at Chetham’s Library has been designed as one of the national and international importance. The Library is also an accredited museum, attracting visitors from all over the world. In 1670 Chetham's Library purchased a copy of The Nuremberg Chronicle for just fifteen shillings! Printed in Nuremberg by Anton Koberger in 1493, The ‘Nuremberg Chronicle’ is one of the most celebrated illustrated books of the fifteenth century, containing woodcut illustrations of stories from the Bible and ecclesiastical and secular history, as well as maps and views of towns. As seen in the image above.