Heritage Compass banner

The Crypt Gallery

The Crypt Gallery

The Crypt of St Pancras Parish Church was designed and used for coffin burials from 1822, when the Church was opened, to 1854, when the crypts of all London churches were closed to burials. Crypt burial was seen as a slightly better alternative to the overcrowded village burial grounds for those who could afford it...and a useful revenue for the churches.

In 2002 the Crypt at St Pancras Church became a gallery space where the imagination, thoughts and emotions of 21st century artists are shared with visitors from around the world. Now this popular venue hosts a year-round programme of art exhibitions.